Your website is how many of your potential clients find you, learn about what products/services you offer, and how they can hire you. But are you safe from becoming a website horror story? Too many wedding professionals unknowingly set themselves up to become a horror story that can result in lost income, stress, legal action, and even losing your entire website. Imagine how you would feel if you lost your entire website, if someone took it hostage, or if some lovely person decided to redirect it to a Russian porn site. That’s why in this episode, we’re talking about how to avoid common website horror stories!
Today’s Guest: Brenda Cadman
Brenda Cadman is a website educator and owns Bon Accord Creative, a website education and development company based in Charlottetown, on beautiful Prince Edward Island (yes, the land of Anne of Green Gables).
After spending the better part of two decades supporting small businesses with their websites, she now has a keen interest and focus on empowering wedding industry and other creative professionals to build their website confidence and to learn how to better protect their websites.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- The 5 buckets of horror stories
- The importance of backups
- Why account ownership is crucial
- Why you shouldn’t delegate ownership of accounts
- What to look for in a hosting company
- Why not regularly updating your website opens you up to hacking
- The importance of having a strong password
- Why you should limit login access and admin levels
- The risk of not having access to all of your website-related accounts
- Why you should have a security plugin
- How to avoid hiring a web developer from hell
- Why you should ask to speak to previous clients
- Steps that you can take today to avoid being a horror story
Get Your Free Ticket To Book More Weddings Summit!
Join us for a free, 5-day, online, value-packed summit where you'll learn from 26 wedding experts!
Links & Resources:
Episode 6: Building A Website That Sells With Brenda Cadman
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Website Developer
Monthly Website Maintenance Checklist
Clone Your Best Clients
More from Brenda:
Want more? To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below and be sure to leave a review:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!