You’ve told me that perfectionism keeps you stuck, paralyzed, unable to move forward and finish something. It keeps you in a state of questioning yourself and feeling like you’re not enough. This isn’t uncommon for creatives but you don’t just have to accept perfectionism and live with the stranglehold it puts on you and your creativity.
I hate perfectionism because it has stopped so many amazing wedding pros just like you from following their passions and going for what they really want. That’s unacceptable to me.
Whether you realize it or not, perfectionism is serving you in some way. It’s allowing you to hide from judgment (except it’s not, we’ll get to that) or from insecurity. Instead of allowing perfectionism to steal your joy, cause you to procrastinate, and make you feel paralyzed, you have some concrete things you can do to shed the perfectionism and live free of it (or at the very least, freer).
Perfectionism isn’t something that is fixed and will always be part of you. It can be changed and in this episode, I’m digging into exactly what perfectionism is, how it digs its claws into you, and what you can do about it.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- What perfectionism is and what it isn’t
- How perfectionism and striving to reach your goals or having high standards are different things
- How perfectionism works
- The difference between a perfectionist thought process vs a growth mindset
- How to differentiate between your natural skills and perfectionism
- How perfectionism hurts creative work
- The connection between perfectionism and procrastination
- Questions to ask yourself to start loosening the hold perfectionism has on you
- How to evaluate what perfectionism does for you and what it costs you
- 6 concrete things you can do to combat perfectionism
- How I deal with perfectionism when it creeps up
Want to make your marketing easier & more effective?
Links & Resources:
Join us inside The Wedding Business Collective
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Subpar Parks Instagram
You Must Ship by Jeff Goins
Seth Godin’s Ship It Journal PDF (excellent for getting to the root of what you’re procrastinating)
Episode 114: Dealing With Doubt & Imposter Syndrome with Lauren Aycock Anderson
Episode 118: What Every Wedding Business Owner Should Know About Mindset
Episode 92: How To Avoid The Dreaded Comparison Trap With Ashley Miller Robinson
Ditch Perfect – Perfectionism Coaching
Want more? To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below and be sure to leave a review:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!