Would you ever treat an employee the way you treat yourself? Most of us are pretty rough on ourselves and we don’t take the time for self care because it feels like we have a million other things to do. Here’s the thing though, there is a very good reason why airlines tell you to put your own oxygen mask on first before assisting others. You are no help to anyone if you’re unconscious from lack of oxygen. The same thing applies to business and today you’ll hear from Alexis Asbe about the importance of self care and how to fit it into your busy schedule.
Today’s Guest: Alexis Asbe
In 1990, Alexis founded one of northern California’s leading wedding and special event companies. With tremendous passion for creative and evocative design, Alexis began with only a small space in her garage and developed one of the most celebrated event and design companies, designing for over 3000 events as the founder.
With over twenty-five years in business, she has consulted and designed more weddings and events than any other designer in the country. She has personally interviewed thousands of people, and has worked for many celebrities and their families. Her designs have backed up well- known political figures and British royalty. Her work has been featured on CBS’s Evening Magazine, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and has been published in Modern Bride. She is a wife, mother, best selling author, coach, business consultant; serial entrepreneur and mermaid…who is hopelessly addicted to the stuff that really matters, underwear and creating visionaries that will change the world. All of which, is sure to drive her husband crazy.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- Why Alexis ran a floral design business for 15 years and then sold it.
- What you should consider if you think you may want to sell your business in the future.
- The importance of building a business that can run without you.
- Why systems are so important to building a predictable, successful business.
- What to do if you feel like your business isn’t a “real business”.
- The importance of thinking like the CEO that you are.
- How comparison can really destroy us
- Why self care is SO important yet we continually overlook it.
- How to make time for your self care.
- Alexis’ 5 step daily practice and how you can replicate it in your own life.
- How to deal with entrepreneurial loneliness.
- What brave love is.
- The excuses people make that hold them back (you may be making some of these!).
- Why you should stop asking yourself “what’s trending?”.
- How thinking about how you can give experiences will improve your business.
- The importance of creative outlets outside of your business.
- Why you should focus more on people and think about what the industry is missing.
- The important of working with a coach & investing in yourself.
Link & Resources mentioned in this episode:
The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael Gerber
Ask why more often (like a 3 year old)
What Being Bipolar Has Taught Me About Business & Self Care
Brave Marketing: 10 Musts For Wedding Professionals
More from Alexis:
Did you enjoy this episode? Share the love with your fellow wedding professionals on Twitter by clicking here!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!