To quote today’s guest in his fantastic post about the sexist part of the wedding industry, “Wedding traditions and tropes are so sexist in nature. We live in a feminist world of equality and our weddings, marriage ceremonies, traditions and fashions need to represent that.”. I couldn’t agree more so that’s why today we’re talking about confronting sexism in the wedding industry.
Today’s Guest: Josh Withers
Josh Withers is the official wedding celebrant of Fun. A gadget-obsessed-nerd and Foo Fighters fan living on the Gold Coast with Britt, his awesome wife of two years, he has the great honour of travelling this vast planet celebrating that marvellous union called marriage. Obsessed with meaningful, personal, intimate wedding ceremonies, Josh is the go-to guy for a wedding ceremony that is the best part of the wedding day.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- How Josh has set himself apart as a celebrant.
- Why Josh thinks we need to focus more on the marriage itself.
- The importance of creating wedding ceremonies that reflect the couple and aren’t just copying existing ceremonies.
- What wedding professionals can do to avoid being sexist.
- How to let your personality shine through in your business (and why that matters).
- Why you should stop referring to your couples as “brides”.
- How taking a stance can help couples figure out if they want to work with you.
- How pop culture feeds into the idea of a wedding being the day you dreamed of and why we need to highlight the fact that this isn’t just a performance & a party.
- What to do if you want to refocus the wedding day on the marriage itself.
- How Josh has built popupwed.co in addition to his officiant business.
- How pop up weddings impact other wedding professionals.
- The importance of knowing you aren’t for everyone and you can’t work with everyone.
Link & Resources mentioned in this episode:
Josh’s post: “I’m leaving the sexist part of the wedding industry”
Start With Why TED Talk by Simon Sinek
Josh’s celebrant directory
How to build relationships with vendors with Twitter
The Power Of Taking A Stance In Your Business
6 Tools That Will Save You 5+ Hours Per Week In Your Wedding Business
More from Josh:
Did you enjoy this episode? Share the love with your fellow wedding professionals on Twitter by clicking here!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!