After reading Start With Why and watching Simon Sinek’s amazing TED talk, I started putting some serious thought into why I do what I do. Simon talks about how we all have a “why” behind what we do. He powerfully proves that people don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it. He explains that the goal is not to sell to people what you have; the goal is to connect with people who believe what you believe. Watch and see what I mean:
I realized that my why, is all about freedom. I am all about building freedom for myself in my own business and helping others create freedom in theirs. It is the string that runs through every single thing I do and explains why I’m so bad at being an employee and taking orders. That’s why I created this:
I challenge you to start thinking about why you do what you do. And of course I’ve got some tips to help you with that from Inc.com. You know I wouldn’t leave you hanging to figure it out alone!
Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- What does success mean to me?
- What am I most passionate about?
- In what way is my business an extension of my passion?
- If I could make a difference for anyone or anything, what would it be?
- What are some small steps I can take to begin to make that difference?
- How can I support or contribute to a cause, organization, individual or group that stands for something that is important to me?
- Is my passion represented in my company culture, mission and vision?
So why do you do this? What do you stand for? And once you figure that out, how can you make it known?