Do you find yourself saying “I’m sorry” all the time? Maybe you’re apologizing because you didn’t reply to an email right away or maybe you apologize on another vendor’s behalf. Over-apologizing is just one way we subconsciously undermine our authority with our language. Language is a powerful thing and it can have a significant impact on your career without you even realizing it.
We all want our clients to trust and respect us, but sometimes the language we choose trains them to think otherwise. Your language is definitely affecting the way you’re perceived by your clients, but is it for better or worse? In this episode, we’ll cover how to be an effective communicator and avoid inadvertently training your clients to believe you’ve done something wrong, even when you haven’t.
Today’s Guest: Renee Dalo
Renee Dalo is a Wedding Planner, Educator, Public Speaker & Podcast Host. With over thirteen years of experience in the wedding industry and eight years running Moxie Bright Events, Renée turned her knowledge towards the advancement of the industry as a whole and launched her top-notch educational resources for event pros. In addition to her self-guided Wedding Management e-course, Renée is also the founder and host of the popular B2B podcast, Talk with Renee Dalo. Currently, Renee serves as the President of WIPA So Cal, and she is recognized across the industry, having earned a coveted spot on Honeybook’s 20 On The Rise list.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- Why we need to choose our language intentionally
- How our upbringing affects our language
- How Renee audited her language
- Why we say sorry too much
- How saying sorry all the time trains your clients to believe you did something wrong even when you didn’t
- How working with clients who make more money than you can create mindset issues you need to address
- What limiting language is
- Why journaling is helpful for auditing your language
- How to shift questions into confident statements
- How unclear communication harms you and your clients
- How to be an effective communicator
Want to make your marketing easier & more effective?
Links & Resources:
More from Renee:
Want more? To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below and be sure to leave a review:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!