A lot of wedding professionals ask me how they can stand out from their competitors and taking a stand is one way of doing that. In today’s podcast episode you’ll hear from one of the co-founders of Catalyst Wedding Magazine, a feminist wedding magazine that sets itself apart from every other wedding magazine out there.
Today’s Guest: Liz Susong
Liz Susong, the Editor-in-Chief of Catalyst Wedding Magazine, is an Ohio native who feels at home in Colorado, and she currently resides in Houston, TX. She has taught college classes, facilitated creative writing workshops for incarcerated women, and has traveled to West Africa, New Zealand, and Europe. She enjoys listening to her grandparents tell stories, encouraging her friends to be friends, and listening to her husband have entire conversations with their cats.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- Why Liz decided to start a feminist wedding magazine.
- Is it possible to have a feminist wedding?
- The importance of diverse representation on wedding media.
- What Liz would love to see change within the wedding industry.
- Why Liz thinks we should shift away from selling the “perfect wedding”.
- Why collaboration is better than competition.
- How Catalyst used Kickstarter to raise funds and build an audience.
- The importance of only working with people that align with your vision whether that be other vendors or advertisers.
- Why you shouldn’t be targeting everyone with you wedding business.
- How allowing your business to reflect who you are and what you believe can help your marketing & growth.
- How taking a stance can really set you apart from your competitors.
Link & Resources mentioned in this episode:
Interview with Liz & Carly on the Bridal Rebellion Podcast
Black Sheep Bride
Liz’s article in OffbeatBride.com – “Is it possible to have a feminist wedding?”
Catalyst’s Kickstarter Campaign
More from Liz:
Did you enjoy this episode? Share the love with your fellow wedding professionals on Twitter by clicking here!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes (You’ll just need to click the blue “View In iTunes” button and then click the Subscribe button when your iTunes opens.)
And please take 2 minutes to leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! Thank you – I appreciate it!